Home  |  Partner  |  Report your Country  |  Imprint  |   de   |   fr   |    

Up to which age is one regarded as a child and young person respectively?


Up to 18.

back to top ↑


Are children/teens allowed to stay in public places?


There is no law preventing them, however parents are expected to supervise children until they are old enough to look after themselves.

back to top ↑


Are children/teens allowed to stay in restaurants or dance halls / ballrooms?



Yes, from any age, although there may be restrictions at the restaurant's discretion.

Dance Halls:

Yes, if they are over 16. However, most bars and nightclubs enforce a limit of 18 due to alcohol laws.

back to top ↑


Are children/teens allowed to stay in night clubs, bars, casinos, places for gambling etc.?


Clubs, Bars, Discos:
Yes, if they are over 16. However, most bars and nightclubs enforce a limit of 18 due to alcohol laws.

Harmfull Places:
There is no law regarding the presence of children in such places, although the police may question them. The Home Office has produced legislation allowing local authorities to introduce child curfew schemes to protect children under the age of 10 in particular areas from getting into trouble. New legislation under sections 48 and 49 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 raises the upper age limit of children who may be the subject of a local child curfew to 15. The legislation also allows the police, as well as local authorities, to apply for a local curfew scheme.

Places for gambling:
Only from the age of 18.

back to top ↑


Is it allowed to sell spirits to children/teens?


No. Alcohol of any kind may only be bought and consumed freely from the age of 18. Children may drink alcohol in home or restaurants if they are with their parents. No distinction is made concerning the strength of alcoholic beverages.

back to top ↑


Which restrictions are there for children/teens to visit public film screenings?


The BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) is responsible for issuing films with certificates according to their content.

The categories are: U (universal – suitable for all), PG (parental guidance – general viewing, but some scenes may be unsuitable for young children), 12A (12 and over, but younger if accompanied by parent), 12 (12 and over), 15 (15 and over), 18 (18 and over), R18 (restricted 18 - to be shown only in specially licensed cinemas, or supplied only in licensed sex shops, and to adults of not less than 18 years).

A media council recommends the movies as followed:
  • The movie is recommended for all
  • The movie is recommended for all, unless the child is younger than 7 years
  • The movie is recommended  for children above 11 years
  • The movie is recommended for children above 15 years.
All public film screenings are allowed for children older than 7 years, when they are accompanied by their parents or other adults.

back to top ↑


Are children/teens allowed to smoke in public?


No, from 18 onwards.

back to top ↑


Is it allowed for children/teens to go to internet café?


Still no information

back to top ↑


Which restrictions are there about carrying knifes, martial arts equipment, weapons?


It is a criminal offence to carry weapons such as knives and guns in the UK. It is also illegal to carry CS spray. Martial arts equipment (bow and arrow, épée etc.) for recreational use should be transported safely.

back to top ↑


Which regulations are there concerning sexual relations with children/teens?


The age of consent for sexual relations (heterosexuals and homosexuals) is 16 in England, Scotland and Wales. In Northern Ireland it is 17.

back to top ↑


Which restrictions are there if foreign young people want to work temporarily?


No restrictions for EU nationals. Non-EU nationals are generally not permitted unless they have a work permit. Young people are allowed to work from the age of 13 (with restrictions). Working holidays are possible in the United Kingdom.

back to top ↑


To which institutions can children/teens turn to if they need help?



The Samaritans


Botschaft der Bundesrepublik Deutschland

23 Belgrave Square



Tel.: 020 7824 1300

Fax: 020 7824 1449

Siehe auch: http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/london/de/Startseite.html

back to top ↑


Useful internet sites about youth protection


More information


embassy United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (10/2008)

For the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the information we can not guarantee.