Children and Youth Protection in Hungary
- Up to which age is one regarded as a child and young person respectively?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in public places?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in restaurants or dance halls / ballrooms?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in night clubs, bars, casinos, places for gambling etc.?
- Is it allowed to sell spirits to children/teens?
- Which restrictions are there for children/teens to visit public film screenings?
- Are children/teens allowed to smoke in public?
- Is it allowed for children/teens to go to internet café?
- Which restrictions are there about carrying knifes, martial arts equipment, weapons?
- Which regulations are there concerning sexual relations with children/teens?
- Which restrictions are there if foreign young people want to work temporarily?
- To which institutions can children/teens turn to if they need help?
- Useful internet sites about youth protection
- More information
According to Hungarian legislation, persons are children under 18 years of age. They are also minors. So you are with 18 of full age. Then you will get all rights and duties.
There are different definitions about young people, e.g. till 24, 26 or 29 years.
There is no legislation. Parents will be responsible for their children, if these are minors.
They are allowed to stay in restaurants at any time.
There is no legislation. Most dance halls have their own rules.
Minors are not allowed to stay in night clubs, bars or similar entertainment districts after 10pm. Most clubs have their own rules preventing minors from entering before 10 pm.
Minors are not allowed to stay in places at which erotic programs were shown. There are no specific places for prostitution and brothels in Hungary.
Places for Gambling:
If public gambling halls offer the opportunity to win, children will not allowed to stay in gambling halls. A 16 year old children is allowed to play on fruit machines, if there will be no profit opportunity. A Person under 18 years of age is not allowed to stay in casinos.
Delivery and selling of alcoholic beverages to persons under 18 years of age is prohibited. They are also not allowed to consume alcoholic beverages.
There are five categories in Hungary:
· No age limit
· Under 12 years only under the supervision of an adult
· For under 16 years old not suitable
· For 18 years old not suitable
· For adults only
· The operator of cinemas are responsible for compliance with these age restrictions.
They are allowed to smoke in public places if there will be no other provision. According to Article 5 of the Law to protect nonsmokers, selling of tobacco products to persons under 18 years of age is prohibited.
You need a permit to possess a weapon. Persons under 18 years of age will not receive a permit.
Knifes from a blade length of 8 cm are thrustings. Possession of equipment which could endanger public safety (eg. Shuriken [short Japanese throwing weapons], rubber truncheon, etc.) are prohibited in public places, public transport and in places of amusement.
Sexual relations with children's under 14 years will be punished. You may have a sexual relation to a person who is 14 years old, if the person has those sexual relations of one's own free will. Using force (threat, duress) will be punished.
You are allowed to work on 60 days per year with a seasonal work permit. You don´t need a work permit in fact you are working in agriculture (plant breeding, animal breeding, fishing).
Young people are allowed to work from 16 years ago with a seasonal work permit. Pupils are allowed to work from 15 years if their parents will agree.
Working holidays are allowed under the above conditions.
police (general emergency number: 112 )
Tourinform Call Center (0-24h 0036 1 438 80 80)
Úri utca 64-66.
phone: 0036-1-488 3500
fax: 0036-1-488 3505
emergency phone: 0036 1 488 3500
See: http://www.budapest.diplo.de/Vertretung/budapest/de/Startseite.html (website in german)
Youth forum Oberes Steinlachtal e.V. (12/2008)
For the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the information we can not guarantee.