Children and Youth Protection in Lithuania
- Up to which age is one regarded as a child and young person respectively?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in public places?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in restaurants or dance halls / ballrooms?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in night clubs, bars, casinos, places for gambling etc.?
- Is it allowed to sell spirits to children/teens?
- Which restrictions are there for children/teens to visit public film screenings?
- Are children/teens allowed to smoke in public?
- Is it allowed for children/teens to go to internet café?
- Which restrictions are there about carrying knifes, martial arts equipment, weapons?
- Which regulations are there concerning sexual relations with children/teens?
- Which restrictions are there if foreign young people want to work temporarily?
- To which institutions can children/teens turn to if they need help?
- Useful internet sites about youth protection
- More information
According to the civil law book and the judicial code one is valid up to the age of 18 years a minor.
Each municipality sets its own rules determine how long are children allowed to stay in public places.
There is no legislation. Children are allowed to stay in restaurants with consent of their parents.
Children are allowed to stay in specifc ballrooms (e.g. clubs for children).
From 21. Also, in some areas it´s possible from 18.
No one is allowed to stay in places perilously. As dangerous places are those that frequent people from high risk groups (criminals, dealer etc).
Places for gambling:
Persons above 21 years are allowed to stay in casinos or places for gambling.
The selling of spirits to anyone under the age of 21 is prohibited. People under 21 years of age must not consume any alcoholic beverages.
Films and programms which provide information harmful for the development of minors will be indicated for the viewer:
N-7: from 7
N-14: from 14 (programs must be shown from 9pm to 6am)
S: from 18 (programs must be shown from 11pm to 6am)
Radio programs for adults must be shown from 11pm to 6am
If a website contains information that can be published only limited, the provider will create a front page with a warning text. A home page with warning text (Lithuanian and English): The content may have a negative influence on minors.
How are they protected against harmful matters on the internet?
In addition, the following must be indicated (Lithuanian and English):
· "The content of the Website is for persons aged 7 years";
· "The content of the Website is for people aged 14 years";
· "The content of the Website is for people aged 18 years";
The licencees may use another preventive measures to protect children.
A person need a licence to possess a firearm. It is prohibited to possess a firearms certificate for anyone under 18 years of age.
There is no legislation. The age limit varied: If you are 14, you can work but you need your parents consent.
Children can turn to local child protection organizations if they have problems. Totaly there are 60 organizations in Lithuania.
Z. Sierakausko g. 24/8
phone: 00370 5 210 64 00
fax : 00370 5 210 64 46
emergency phone: 8 650 55510
see: http://www.deutschebotschaft-wilna.lt/ (website in german)
embassy of Republic of Lithuania (11/2008)
For the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the information we can not guarantee.