Children and Youth Protection in Portugal
- Up to which age is one regarded as a child and young person respectively?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in public places?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in restaurants or dance halls / ballrooms?
- Are children/teens allowed to stay in night clubs, bars, casinos, places for gambling etc.?
- Is it allowed to sell spirits to children/teens?
- Which restrictions are there for children/teens to visit public film screenings?
- Are children/teens allowed to smoke in public?
- Is it allowed for children/teens to go to internet café?
- Which restrictions are there about carrying knifes, martial arts equipment, weapons?
- Which regulations are there concerning sexual relations with children/teens?
- Which restrictions are there if foreign young people want to work temporarily?
- To which institutions can children/teens turn to if they need help?
- Useful internet sites about youth protection
- More information
You are a child until the age of 18 years. You also become a major with 18 years.
For sepecial purposes, the law increases the age of becoming an adult, i.e. social benefits for students (up to 26 years), youth cards (up to 25 years), legal status for criminal youth (between 16 and 21 years) and assistance or protective measures (up to 21 years).
They are allowed to stay in public places provided that the risk is minimal or socially acceptable.
Parents will be accused of negligence if there is a specific dangerous situation (i.e. an accident) which would have been avoided by their presence.
They are allowed to stay in restaurants (regardless from their age).
A person have to be 16 years of age to enter a disco or bar.
Bars, Clubs, Discos:
Children are not allowed to stay in night clubs or bars. A person have to be 16 years of age to enter a disco or bar.For night clubs, striptease clubs or women´s centers, there is an age limit of 16.
It is not allowed to stay in such places for children and young people. Harmful places are e.g.: nightclubs, striptease clubs, sex-shops and places where shown movies pornographically or Peep shows, brothel and Swinger clubs.
Places for gambling:
Children and young people. It is children and young people prohibited to stay in gambling halls or places for gambling.
Selling or consume alcohol beverages for minors under 16 years of age is prohibited. Selling alcohol beverages to drunk people ist forbidden. For people with mental abnormality it is not allowed to consume those beverages. No distinction is made concerning the strength of alcohol beverages.
Children and young people are allowed to visit public film-screenigs. There are different levels:
· from 4
· from 6
· from 16
· from 18
prohibited to sell tobacco products to minors under 18 years of age. Smoking in public places is restricted for everybody (e.g. kindergarten,
day nursery and other child care institutions, childrens´s houses, youth
centres, leisure centres, holiday camps; schools including class rooms, study
rooms, reading rooms, assembly rooms, libraries, sport halls, schoolyards;
bars; restaurants; dining halls; canteens).
They are allowed to stay in internet cafés.
Internet operators have their own regulation to protect children. However, the quest for sites with illegal and morally reprehensible content is prohibited.
The same applies
by law applicable to the access and dissemination of illegal and immoral
content and also for searching, distribution, retention, installation,
dissemination of illegal content.
Internet cafe´s have the right to apply lists of prohibited programs and content, which were determined by themselves. The acquisition, distribution, dissemination, showing, import, export and possession of pronographic content will be punished by law.
The firearms law for adults also applies for young people. There are some restriction for carrying knives and folding knifes. Carrying fighting equipment is allowed as long as the use is justified by practicing a corresponding form of sport.
It is prohibited for an adult to have, or attempt to have a sexual connection with a minor under 16 years of age. If the minor tolerated the sexual relation, the adult will not be punished, except:
1. Sexual contacts between adults and minors who are wards are not allowed.
2. Sexual contacts between adults and minors for payment or other considerations are not allowed. Minors may not participate in pornographic activities as well as in pornographic pictures or audio recordings. The use of minors in pornographic activities as well as in pornographic pictures or audio recordings will be punished. However, this will be punished.
There are no restrictions except: The person has to be 16 years of age. The employer have to observe job norms and safety standards concerning apprenticeship, working hours and hygiene. German youth are allowed to spend working holidays in Portugal.
They can aks policemen (the constabulary:„Políciade Segurança Pública“ or the republican national guard: „Guarda Nacional Republicana“) or the commission for child and youth protection in their region for help.
Campo dos Mártires de Pátria, 38
phone: 03351 21 881 0210
Fax: 00351 21 885 38 46
see: http://www.lissabon.diplo.de/Vertretung/lissabon/de/Startseite.html (website in german)
embassy of Portugal (04/2009)
For the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of the information we can not guarantee.